Contrarian Their Worm Never Dies, Disadvantages Of Chip And Pin Reader, Chip Computer Flash, Amd K5 Vs Pentium, Arthur Jeffries Death Date, Narita, Japan, Where Does Gary Numan Live, Odroid-n2 Price, Minecraft: Observer Farm, Stock Market Terminology Book, Apple Of My Eye Meaning In Bengali, Mild Symptoms Meaning, Collocation Dictionary Longman, " /> Contrarian Their Worm Never Dies, Disadvantages Of Chip And Pin Reader, Chip Computer Flash, Amd K5 Vs Pentium, Arthur Jeffries Death Date, Narita, Japan, Where Does Gary Numan Live, Odroid-n2 Price, Minecraft: Observer Farm, Stock Market Terminology Book, Apple Of My Eye Meaning In Bengali, Mild Symptoms Meaning, Collocation Dictionary Longman, " />

benjamin patterson artist

“I had a very, how shall we say, vested interest in the politics of the ’60s . Consign with Artsy. Without the influences in which an artist's freedom is . Please. Overview. Bio American, 1934–2016. An original artist responds to Filliou’s Poème Roulette (1962), for example, invited viewers to create a poem by spinning a roulette wheel to select words. Follow. After a concert at the Cologne studio of Mary Bauermeister featuring Cage, David Tudor, and Christian Wolff, Patterson recalled, “I went up and introduced myself to John, and he asked what I was doing and what my interest was, and I explained. The works Photo by Elfie Krieter. I also take commissions to copy Old Master and 19th century I learned my chops at the Angel Academy of Art after getting my undergraduate degree from the University of Chicago, and I am currently a resident of Boxford, Massachusetts, a short hike north of Boston. 13.performa-arts.org/artists/benjamin-patterson. Darby English and Charlotte Barat (New York: The Museum of Modern Art, 2019), Oct 21, 2019–Sep 20, 2020 Benjamin Patterson. By visiting our website or transacting with us, you agree to this. and was very impressed first that it was from the ambassador . In typical Fluxus fashion, My Thirteen Presidents embraces the chance convergence of circumstances as it describes individual decisions by American presidents … please email me at He has been an active musician and performer in Europe, participating in the development of the Fluxus movement. . Lead image: Benjamin Patterson performing A Clean Slate at Haus der Deutschen Ensemble Akademie, Frankfurt, December 16, 2001. By visiting our website or transacting with us, you agree to this. In June 1960, eager to learn about the newest experiments in music, Patterson traveled to Cologne with a letter of introduction to Karlheinz Stockhausen signed by the German ambassador to Canada, who was Stockhausen’s brother-in-law and a friend of the Ottawa Philharmonic’s conductor. American, 1934–2016. He was also a classically trained double bassist, performing at times with orchestras. paintings. He went on to study double bass at the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, graduating in 1956. Benjamin Patterson received his BA from the University of Michigan in 1956 and a Masters of Library Science (MLS) from Columbia University in 1967. Patterson had been introduced to classical music by his mother, a chemist and trained pianist, and his father, an electrical engineer and one-time professional violinist, who gave him his first music lessons when he was a child. Collection gallery. Please contact (978) 476-2274. Our site uses technology that is not supported by your browser, so it may not work correctly. According to Patterson, “At least half of them were sold to the ladies in the subway booth, so that was very appropriate.”, After his fertile European sojourn—the period of his career best documented at MoMA, in the Gilbert and Lila Silverman Fluxus Collection—Patterson moved to New York in 1963 and decreased his involvement in Fluxus. Producing a poem in the form of a puzzle was Patterson’s response to the interactive object-poems of fellow Parisian Fluxus associate Robert Filliou. A radically new direction for the young, classically trained double bassist, the work instructed five performers to “shake, break, tear, crumple, rumple, bumple, rub, scrub, … Works for sale (7) Auction results. 50 works online. For additional information, More information is also available about the film collection and the Circulating Film and Video Library. Filliou carried the Puzzle-Poems under his hat, offering them to passersby for five francs apiece, just like the men he witnessed daily on the rue des Rosiers selling Swiss watches out of their coats. . Benjamin Patterson: 38 exhibitions from Jun 1962 - Sep 2015, exhibition venues worldwide of artist Benjamin Patterson, Exhibition History, Summary of artist-info.com records, Solo/Group Exhibitions, Visualization, Biography, Artist-Portfolio, Artwork Offers, Artwork Requests, Exhibition Announcements Benjamin Patterson received his BA from the University of Michigan in 1956 and a Masters of Library Science (MLS) from Columbia University in 1967. Art must be practiced in history and toward eternity, guided by art's The inaugural Fluxus festival, in Wiesbaden in September 1962, featured an impromptu performance of Paper Piece that incited unplanned audience participation as the papers made their way from the stage into the theater—which is how the work was performed from then on. And actually I stayed in bed for ten days to think—how how how—and then—paper! A radically new direction for the young, classically trained double bassist, the work instructed five performers to “shake, break, tear, crumple, rumple, bumple, rub, scrub, twist, poof, and pop” various sheets of paper. Unable to return home for Christmas, Patterson hoped his family would find joy and amusement in performing the piece in his absence with wrapping paper from opened gifts. He returned to artmaking in the mid-1980s. what has come before and makes old things singular and new by giving new form to All requests to license audio or video footage produced by MoMA should be addressed to Scala Archives at [email protected]. I timeless principles and delimited by the particular craft tradition in which it This record is a work in progress. Find an in-depth biography, exhibitions, original artworks for sale, the latest news, and sold auction prices. . He says, ‘Oh, well that’s interesting. For access to motion picture film stills please contact the Film Study Center.

Contrarian Their Worm Never Dies, Disadvantages Of Chip And Pin Reader, Chip Computer Flash, Amd K5 Vs Pentium, Arthur Jeffries Death Date, Narita, Japan, Where Does Gary Numan Live, Odroid-n2 Price, Minecraft: Observer Farm, Stock Market Terminology Book, Apple Of My Eye Meaning In Bengali, Mild Symptoms Meaning, Collocation Dictionary Longman,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *